Senior Housing – Steps to Searching for the Right FitIs it time to search for senior housing for yourself or a loved one? Don't know where to begin. It can seem overwhelming. Take it one step at a time. Here are a few key tips to searching for Senior Housing.
- Use the Internet to Research Reputable online senior housing sites can provide a wealth of information. Check out sites that allow you to develop a preliminary idea of what kind of housing you or your loved one will need. Many sites have helpful tools. Tools include a Evaluation Tool or Checklists. The Evaluation Tool can guide you to the type of housing you need by answering questions. By carefully sifting through the available information, senior housing seekers can learn quite a bit about what’s relevant to their search. This includes information on available amenities and the types of rooms or apartments offered.. It also includes safety devices installed in rooms and communities, staff-to-patient ratios, and even information about the surrounding area/city.Some senior housing sites even provide prospective residents with virtual tours of communities. These can easily be viewed from the comfort of your own home.Start your search with AlternativesforSeniors.com. We make senior housing searching simpler and more efficient by providing access to senior housing and services throughout the entire country. Use our Evaluation Tool to help you decide on the level of care needed. It can be found at: Alternativesforseniors.com/evaluation-tool . Levels of care include; Senior Apartments, Independent Living, Assisted Living, Alzheimer’s/Memory Care and Nursing/Rehab Care. Search by level of care and location. Our senior housing listings typically include photos of the community, list of available services and amenities, a paragraph detailing the community and a map that shows the community’s location.
- Work Your Networks If you are searching for long-distance senior housing, sometimes the search is aided by strong social networking skills. Why not ask friends and relatives who live in the new area to take a look at certain senior housing communities for you. Try posting messages on community forums for some valuable feedback from locals. Ask people for recommendations. Post a question on Facebook. You may be surprised at the response. Many of your contacts may have already searched for senior housing for a loved one. They may have checked out some of the places you are curious about.
- Take the Time to Tour Communities Once you have narrowed your list to your favorite communities, it’s time to schedule a tour. It’s essential that you check out a property in person before you commit to living there or moving a loved on in. Visiting the community in person helps lower your anxiety and can head off potential problems. When you have done preliminary research, you can visit several communities in one day or weekend. It is always a good idea to also come back after regular business hours. Check to see if the community runs as nicely as it did when you toured the place. Is it still staffed properly? Are residents wandering and yelling for help? Are there any odors? Is the community still clean?
- Have Your Questions Ready Before you visit, have your list of specific questions and concerns in hand. Consider in advance the amenities you would like to have available. Decide what services are needed. Print out a checklist and complete it while you tour. You can print a checklist at: Alternativesforseniors.com/checklists. You are more likely to be pleased with the results when you do so.
- Call a Senior Housing Specialist If you still need help or simply do not have time to do the research yourself, help is just a phone call away. Senior Housing Specialists can find housing in the area you are looking and narrow the results by finding the communities that fit what you are looking for. The specialist will find housing in the level of care needed. Pool or no pool. Pets allowed. 24-hour nursing staff. Close to local attractions. Best yet, Senior Housing Specialists usually have access to information such as monthly rates. It’s a simple as making one phone call. And some companies provide this service FREE of charge. Alternatives for Seniors is one of them. Call our Senior Specialists at (888) WE-ASSIST.